Former French Open champion Ilie Nastase has been banned from this year’s tournament following his behaviour at last month’s Fed Cup, organisers confirmed on Saturday.
The 70-year-old is currently under investigation by the International Tennis Federation (ITF) following a series of incidents at the Fed Cup in April where Romania beat Great Britain 3-2.
Nastase, who was appointed Romania’s Fed Cup captain in October, reduced Johanna Konta to tears during her match with Sorana Cirstea after insulting her and Great Britain captain Anne Keothavong — which resulted in the 70-year-old being escorted off the court.
He had earlier caused controversy when he asked Keothavong for her hotel room number at a pre-tie press conference, which came a day after he allegedly made racist comments about Serena Williams’ unborn baby.
- Read more
Serena Williams may not return to tennis after pregnancy, says Austin
Wimbledon chief Philip Brook confirmed on Wednesday Nastase will not receive an invite into the Royal Box at this summer’s championships — a decision the former world No.1 blasted as being «small-minded» — and French Open organisers have now moved to ban him altogether.
A brief statement on their official Twitter account on Saturday said «following his suspension by the ITF, Mr Ilie Nastase won’t be accredited» for the tournament in Paris.
— Roland-Garros (@rolandgarros) May 6, 2017
The Grand Slam starts on May 28 at Roland Garros.